Monday, May 19, 2008

rain

today, for the first time since i have been here, it is raining. it sends the smell of the earth and fallen leaves into the air, mixing the fresh with the damp smell of decay.

climbing san cristobal hill today, one could finally see all of santiago, even the snow-capped mountains! the one bad thing about winter here is that the smog settles. for weeks, we haven't even been able to see the foothills of the andes, and i haven't seen snow-capped anything at all. however, today, the rain cleaned the air, washed away the smog (probably in the river - ooph) and all was clean and clear and crisp.

i am starting to think of carving pumpkins and halloween costumes, not to mention thanksgiving. sadly, down south, we'll be getting those holidays when it is warm again, almost summer.

however, this rain takes me immediately back to salzburg, summer 2003. i was staying in a fraternity/hostel house, and it was still chilly, early in the summer. rain was pouring down outside and we all gathered in the bar area of the house (only in salzburg!) and listened to getz/gilberto "girl from ipanema" and danced, the heat of our bodies mixing with the cool air, creating a misty, truly magical atmosphere. that night, we were all so connected, needing nothing more than the rain and the music.

tonight i listen again to "girl from ipanema." though i am now in chile, the smells are the same, and the rain feels just as clear and pure.

2 comments:

London Still said...

rain and the smell of earth reminds me of mr dean x

Moon and Sparrow Sandy said...

Of course I remember that night. I think about it and you often!!

What an inspiration you are -- I visited your blog and read until late in the evening. It reminded me of what I love about travel and what I miss about it.
We are planning to get away for a month this summer -- mainly East coast and northern quebec, but there is talk of Paris now....how to decide. My two selves can never agree on whether I love the country more (rustic cabin, small village markets, medieval northern Quebec French, fresh cheese) or big cities (fresh crepes right off the street, rented apartments, access to a continent of museums and bookstores...)----------well, since I started this post ages ago, we finally decided on getting a camper van and making the whole summer our vacation (extended weekends away, several smaller trips and a 2 week chunk of time in Gaspesie)! Country Sandy won out.

Know what I really want to tell you? That the quote on your blog about the dark nests on balconies -- it reminds me of our night at the Marionnette opera, and how on our way home from it, do you remember that we saw pigeons cuddling and sleeping together on the teeny balconies that wrapped around the streetlights? I took a picture of them that I looked at recently. God -- why is Europe such a romantic memory!!

Thinking of you every time I appreciate my expensive pillow,

xoxox
Sandy